Friday 2 May 2014

The Nature and Purposes of Research in the Creative Media Industries

Primary research/Self-generated research

Primary research or Self-generated research is information which is collected from your potential audience. You can collect this information yourself or get someone else to collect it for you. It can be collected via surveys, focus groups or other methods.

This could be seen in the industry when a director needs to see what an audience want to see in a film, the director would give out a questionnaire or another form of primary research to the audience and the results collected would allow him to work around what they want. 

I collected my primary research using surveys, I used the survey monkey website to create my survey, I then posted a link to my survey on my Twitter and Facebook, I got 25 replies from people from as young as 12 to people as old as 51. I think this allowed a valid set of results.

 Secondary Research

Secondary research is basically market research that has already been made and organised for you. Examples of secondary information  include reports, books, journals etc. 

Secondary research in the industry can be seen when someone has to research some information about a film and they have to find out about a certain subject like, the war, disorders, animals etc. 

I collected my secondary research by using books, documentaries, famous figures, journals and diagnosis websites which show the facts and figures about my disorder which I made my 3MW (3 minute wonder) on. 

Quantitative Research  

Quantitative research is logical and data-led, its provides a measure of what people think from a statistical or numerical point of view, for example, if you wanted to know how many teenagers buy your CD, you would use quantitative figures to show it. e.g 20% of teenagers have bought your CD. 

I completed a questionnaire to find out certain areas of peoples views on my documentary, the questionnaire then worked out a percentage of people who answered what. Below is an example:


 



Qualitative Research

Qualitative research is the opposite of Quantitative, instead of it being based on simple yes or no answers and numbers and statistics it's more to do with how people feel, what they think and why they make certain choices. For example, if you I was thinking of changing part of my documentary, I would carry out some qualitative research to see if people would like this change.


I didn't use any qualitative research because I did not really need the views of other people on a larger scale than people in my class. 

However for my actual production, which consisted of an in-depth interview on what it feels like to suffer from bipolar, I held discussions with the interviewee before I shot the interview, and these were a form of primary qualitative research. 


Data Gathering Agencies

The roles of data gathering agencies are responsible for collecting and managing a companies data and operating data entry devices. 

An example of these companies is BARB. BARB or Broadcasters Audience Research Board is the official source of television viewing figures in the United Kingdom. It was originally created to replace a older system known as JICTAR, where the BBC and ITV had to count there own viewings. BARB is very similar to IMDb in that they also provide TV listings to the public, although IMDb provides greater detail to the public on specific movies and TV programs, it also provides information on movies which are going to be screened in the future. RAJAR or Radio Joint Audience Research is similar to BARB but instead of showing TV programme viewings it shows it for radio stations. 

Audience and Market Research

Audience and Market research is audience data, its shows the statistics/figures on how many people watch a television programme and if this research includes the intended audience. Audience and market Research includes audience profile, audience profile is where information is gathered on the audience using demographics. This helps researchers to focus on putting what the audience would prefer into their media text, or what would make it better. The audience and market research which I collected was based upon my survey which I made using a survey website. It helped me to see what age group/what type of person would watch a 
3 minute wonder documentary on bipolar.

Production Research

Production research can consist of the content of the product, which is "information and experiences that provides value for an audience" (Content, 2014). It can also be; viability, finance, costs and personnel etc.. I collected information for my 3 minute wonder by using a large amount of reliable websites, such as the NHS etc.. Having this information would make my documentary include more information about the disorder (bipolar) instead of just information from a bipolar sufferer. 

Assessing Research Data

Reliability: Reliability is being able to replicate a questionnaire/survey etc.. and being able to receive roughly the same results, I used an online survey to collect my research. The reliability of my research is not necessarily very reliable because I used a rather small sample and I posted the link to my survey onto my social networking accounts (Twitter, Facebook) so the people who took part may not have been serious, although there was a vary in age, people from as young as 12 to as old as 51.  Although everyone chose roughly the same answers so this shows what a majority of the public/my social network followers think. 
Below are some examples of my survey:















(If i had received a larger amount of answers and used more broad questions my results may have been a lot more reliable)

Validity:  Validity is measuring what you set out to measure in the first place or how well it reflects the reality it claims to represent, which again can be done using questionnaires/surveys. People answering my questionnaire may have rushed or lied on it, I also have no evidence on who answered my questionnaires so it could have been anyone. There is no certainty in whether the respondents responded with what they truly believed, however they did not know what I was set out to measure. Therefore there was no way of the respondents responding to questions purely by what they thought I wanted them to say. 

2 comments:

  1. Bruce,

    This is a good first draft and you have covered everything necessary and provided some examples from your own work. You do however need to add some industry examples, eg., when would you expect to see primary research conducted in the media industry? Do this for a couple of the terms at least and you will be looking at the higher grades.

    You also need to check a couple of things and I am not convinced some of the content isn't slightly too similar to some other websites... make sure nothing is copied unless it is quoted and sourced. Quantitative research is not the opposite of qualitative, it is just different and also we need lots more images and a reference list.

    Good start,
    EllieB

    ReplyDelete
  2. For market research you could also mention looking at the market for documentaries by counting them in the schedules etc Otherwise good - now a merit.

    ReplyDelete